Friday, November 22, 2013

My Prayer Journal

I have found myself in the past year or so spending less and less time praying. I read my Bible and say a quick prayer before I start my day then I am off doing whatever it is that needs done that day. I have realized that in living that way I am completely relying on my own strength to be a godly mother, wife, friend, etc. No wonder I keep failing!

I have begun to read the book "The Burden Bearer" by Paul Chappell. I am only 70% through the book (I love how my kindle tells me that) and already the Lord has been changing my heart. I am realizing how little I actually give to the Burden Bearer and how much I attempt to carry all on my own! This led me to see how little time I put into prayer. And not just praying for the things I need but praying for other's needs as well.

So I found an old notebook we have had sitting around for years and started labeling the pages. The first page I put my family. I listed each member of my family and ways I need to pray for them. It's nice to have scripture references next to certain ones.  Some more examples of the pages I have are : missionaries, extended family, Facebook requests (after making this page I realized how often Facebook friends ask for prayer), Wednesday night prayer meeting requests, etc. These are just some of the ones I thought of. Anyway, it is amazing to see the Lord answering prayers. When I hear an answer to a prayer it's such a blessing. I have found it has caused me to start caring for other people, too, now that I am praying for them on a regular basis.

Well, I guess this sort of turned into rambling but I hope it has encouraged you to pray for others more. And to hand things over to our Burden Bearer instead of trying to handle things on our own.

6 comments:

  1. wonderful post. I recently read "The Burden Bearer" also. Excellent book! God is an amazing God!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. He sure is! And I love how the closer we get to Him the more we realize it <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this post, Sandy - thank for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad it can be a blessing, bubby :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You don't ramble. ;) I needed that today. There's so much going on right now and God is working in so many areas at once I've been feeling to overwhelmed. But I do need to cast all my cares on Jesus.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad it can be a reminder for you :)

    ReplyDelete